Wednesday 11 June 2008

Playing with new technology


I had a stimulating day at work yesterday. I had the support of one of our ICT advisors for the morning. We spent two hours working and talking together, and he spent an hour in the classroom with me.



We tried to use the new learning platform in the lesson, which unfortunately didn't work due to technical issues. (However, I tried again this afternoon, after he had gone, and found my way round the technology this time!) The learning platform is an online protected space where pupils can put work. It also has tools such as a message board, and it was this I used today. I wanted to look at the idea of collaborative working, getting pupils to work with each other rather than just alongside each other. So I set up some message threads for pupils to share ideas on. I've just started analysing the results - it looks like it will be an interesting project to work on, and may even lead to a paper (possibly!)


I'm starting to see more and more ways in which this could be used within the classrooms. To start with I tended to think it was most useful as an out of hours resource, but I am definitely changing my mind. I'm really looking forward to seeing whether this way of working changes the way pupils work and produces different (hopefully better!) results.

2 comments:

Made by Mandy said...

Hi C

Sorry haven't kept up to date with your blog. Know you appreciate reasons but wanted to touch base.

glad to read that you are working, and have a co worker alongside, on new ICT stuff. Not that I understand much ICT stuff but is good to do new things and also be able to share that experience.

Take good care of yourself.

x

Disillusioned said...

Thanks, Mandy.

Take care of you too.