Tuesday 11 March 2008

Am working hard at not being dependent, at becoming more self reliant. Lots of self doubt in there though. I guess the more I rely on myself the more I will trust myself to cope. I hope so.

It's hard - how does anyone decide when they are seeking help appropriately and when they are just being lazy / dependent? How do I disentangle old messages about my lack of worth, my need for support, the issues I am currently dealing with (which add stress), past criticism from mental health professionals about my desire for support, and current messages which encourage me to ask for the help I need. It's a tangled web.

4 comments:

Made by Mandy said...

Hi D

Can't offer anything but friendship here. Hope that helps in some small way.

As I am right in the thick of pretty much constant dependancy at the mo', will get back to you if and when I suss my way back to a bit more independance.

Thinking of you :>)

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

When you work out the answer to your six line post, you must tell us all!
Therein lies the dilema for loads of people.
Given me plenty to think about today, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I still to anxious and scared to seek help, I was finally planning to go next week and get a private referral rather than wait for the NHS, but now I am faced with a dentist bill and toothache wins over the mental health thing. I hate dentist, I hate toothache even more.

Disillusioned said...

Thank you all.

Mandy, sorry it is tough for you. Needing support at difficult times is different to being dependent, I believe.

mmp - thanks! I'm aiming high, I know.

Isabel - I hate dentists too. Hope your appointment goes as well as possible.