Tuesday 18 December 2007

Silence

Silence is the hardest of all things for me to cope with.

Why? because that is the weapon my Mum used. When I did something she didn't like, when I said something she didn't want me to say, what did she do? She stopped talking to me.

So silence, especially when I have asked for help, sends me spiralling down. It makes me act irrationally. It makes me try to elicit communication. Any communication. Because any communication is so much better than silence.

That's probably alien to many of you. For many of you, silence probably is not an issue at all. But to me it is the most damaging thing you could ever do. Ignoring me makes me feel like I don't exist. It makes me desperate to prove I do exist, desperate to explain myself clearly (because surely it must be my fault that I am not making myself clear.). But you have to understand that, to me, silence is the most damaging thing you can give me. It destroys me. It is destroying me.

2 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

I know silence is hard - without communication nothing ever gets worked through or sorted...
I know that and I feel that too...
and noone else will really be good enough than those you need /want to hear it from...
that makes it hard...
I'm sure you are making yourself clear.. am positive you will be...
it's not you - it's them...
please take care and be safe, Katie,xx

awareness said...

I am not good with silence either Caroline. It unnerves me as well because it has been used as an emotional weapon in the past.

You have been very clear with that completely inept mental health system you are trying to seek help from.

I feel very powerless to help you from way over here, and I am very worried about you. What other avenues can you pursue to seek help? I don't know the system in the UK..... When is this D person leaving? Can you get access to D tomorrow?

I am home all this week....email me whenever you like....if I can help just by connecting with you via email, I would be more than willing to do so.....send me a helpline if you want. I promise I will answer.

awareness.ca@gmail.com

dana.