Monday 24 December 2007

Clinical decisions

When is it right for those who have clinical training to override the stated wishes of patients? It's a question - I don't really have clear answers. Obviously if a person is a danger to themselves or others, it is the duty of their doctors to keep them and others safe. But don't the wishes of the patient supercede the beliefs of the doctors if life is not at risk?

In my case, I requested answers to questions. Those answers had previously been promised to me. When they did not arrive I repeated my request. The answers still did not come. I repeated my request, explaining that the promised answers had not been given. I was not responded to or my request acknowledged.

It was only after a week of struggling to get some response that I found that "clinical advice" had been given not to respond to any further requests. This advice was given by someone I trust completely. However, I believe this advice was wrong in my case. The unexplained silence upset me hugely, triggering my current crisis. the grounds for advising silence were, as far as I understand it, that it would upset me to keep answering and not get a full answer. Well, I suppose that is right. But surely the answer is not to use clinical advice as an excuse for not answering my valid questions. Rather, the answer is to give me the answers which had already been promised, or to explain fully why those answers were not being given.

If the label of "mental illness" were to be taken out of this equation, I don't believe my actions would be questioned. If an answer to a question is avoided, it is common practice to repeat the question. We all hear this every day on the news. To use my mental illness as justification for not answering a question is surely not justifiable. It may be a convenient way of avoiding answering questions BLPT would prefer not to answer, but it is not justifiable.

5 comments:

Fiona Marcella said...

hugs - tired ones but i hope they will do

cheekyfaces said...

I hope 2008 is a better year for you.

Disillusioned said...

Thank you both.

Marcella, sorry you are tired. Hope you get some rest today...

Cheekyfaces - nice to see you here, and thanks for your good wishes. I really hope 2008 is going to be better too.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I floated in from mentalnurse blog as your post was highlighted there and kinda links to my (just about to publish) post on panic vs common-sense in (mental) health care. It's a vague link to your dilemma but essentially, of the same ilk: stupid decisions made at the detriment of the person who is actually getting "care".
Anyhow, as if you needed it pointing out, they're 'decision' to withhold info is total crap and if I could answer your questions I would have, or explained why not. If it's dodgy to tell you - then I'd support you too. It's their jobs to do that, not dismiss your concerns under some made up pretext of being detrimental to your health. Stupid useless twots.
Happy New Year to ya... aka Mr Ian

Disillusioned said...

Thanks Mr Ian

Yes, stupid decisions negatively affecting person in need of support is certainly part of my experience.

About to progress to the next stage of complaints, I am almost certain. Certainly not going to get any joy the way I have been trying.

Thank you.