Monday 6 August 2007

Care plan guidance for my area

Ensure a systematic assessment of the person’s health and social needs is carried out
initially and again when needed.
Mine took over 15 months to be carried out.

Ensure that the care plan is sent to all concerned including the service user
Obviously didn't happen

Ensure that crisis and contingency plans are formulated, updated and circulated
Never seen these

Ensure that carers and other agencies are involved and consulted where appropriate
This took over 18 months - and was, I suspect, prompted onlly by my complaint!

Ensure that the person knows whom to contact in the care co-ordinator's absence
Only if contact without a response is acceptable

Identify unmet needs and communicate any unresolved issues to the appropriate
managers, through the appropriate systems;
Didn't happen

Arrange for someone to deputise if absent, and pass on the care co-ordinator role to
someone else if no longer able to fulfill it.
May have been arranged but didn't happen

Photocopying and distributing a copy of the service user’s care plan within five
working days
Err, no... not even within 5 working weeks

Service users on enhanced CPA must have a full care plan (CPA5) developed within 5
working days for the community.
Not even close

CPA reviews for enhanced service users must take place every 3-6 months
I guess this must have been hard to acheive given the lack of a CPA for the first 15 months of my connection with the service

Take responsibility for ensuring continuity of care
Frequently not the case



Hmmmm....

5 comments:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

This is so familiar.
You were not imagining any of it.
It did happen.
And I am so sorry.

I pray your tomorrows are joyful and sunfilled,
surrounded by people who know how to journey alongside you
and with whom you can grow and flower.

Disillusioned said...

Thank you! At times I need to compare my experience with the "absolutes" - at times I wonder if I am just over-reacting, if my expectations are too high. It still hurts. It still feels like I was abandoned. Trying to hope is still hard - hope that it will all be OK this time. I'm trying to go hopefully - and reminding myself that if things are not "OK" at my meeting tomorrow I still have the option of stopping, of closing the door behind me.

I appreciate your encouragement, and your prayers.

Fiona Marcella said...

Sadly, for some systems, your expectations ARE too high, because you HAVE expectations ;-)
It never ceases to amaze me how hard the NHS finds it to deal with intelligent people.
Clinicians and Trusts put their policies, proceedures, review documents, and examples of their work out for all to see on Internet sites which are full of information even if the phone numbers are out of date, and then get a terrible shock if people actually read it and want to know why their case isn't conforming to what is supposed to be the norm.
It's sad really. You'd have thought the poor dears would have learned by now.
All the best for tomorrow.

Caroline said...

mine tell me that targets are merly something to aspire to, not things that they are expected to achieve.

good job they're all obsessive over-achievers in the NHS eh?

Disillusioned said...

Marcella, caroline - thank you - sadly, you make me sure I am not alone and not imagining all this.

Marcella, you have made me smile, again - though the smile is rather wry, I have to say.

Caroline - that's horrifying! Must be some new definition of the word target. Maybe the NHS has its very own dictionary?