Monday 9 July 2007

Computer rant

The computers have been out to get me today. Given that I teach ICT, that isn't great.

Actually, it's not just the computers. The technician hasn't helped. How about this for a scenario:

I'm teaching one of our oldest classes who, given that they move on to Upper school in two weeks, are challenging at times. We're finishing off their web pages. I started these before I went off ill; they did some work on them while I was off but the teachers covering didn't have the knowledge to help them complete their work.

Suddenly, as the class are working silently, engrossed in their pages, they start complaining of problems saving. I look in the network folder where they are saved and (eventually) realise that they are disappearing before my eyes,even though the pupils are not doing anything.

I go down to the technician and ask her if she knows what is going on. She tells me she is removing them from the network and writing them to CD. Sorry? Yes, that's right, she is removing them. She thought we had finished that unit. Had she asked me? No. Had she asked anyone? No. But (after I have gone) she asks the other ICT teacher if SHE knew I was still working on them and is told yes, she did. Technician then complains "I am invisible - nobody tells me anything."

Err....

Well, if you had asked...
Or even told me you were planning to remove them....
Or hinted at lack of network space when we were talking about this very subject on Friday...

But no...
This is MY fault. Clearly I should have realised that there was a lack of space (even though she told me the total opposite on Friday). I should have realised she was going to delete the web pages (even though she has never done so before). I should have told her that I was working on this unit (although I have never had to do so before). I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. Because this is MY FAULT and I have clearly INCONVENIENCED HER.

*%$# the lot of them.

4 comments:

Fiona Marcella said...

It would seem that the technician is one of those people who is working with computers because she doesn't "do" people. Computers can't predict seemingly random acts about which they are given no notice, and won't tell you what they are doing unless you ask either but they can't complain - yet! She'd better watch out when they learn.

Don't feel bad about it. It wasn't your fault at all. It wasn't the pupils' either but I suppose this is a good lesson for them in patience since they'll face similar situations out in the big wide world of upper school and won't have such supportive teachers to guide them through them either

Disillusioned said...

Marcella I strongly believe you to be entirely correct in your perception of our technician.

The only good thing is that everyone is assuring me I did nothing wrong.

awareness said...

I would've been so pissed!! What gall!

And then to try to pass the buck. If one frigs up, one should own it!! Why do you think it completely kills someone not to take the responsibility? Hmmmm...think I'll write a blog piece on that one.

Kathryn said...

I'm so pleased that your final comment was unprintable! I suspect that a few weeks ago you would have believed it truly WAS all your fault instead of being rightly furious that the person who should be supporting you practically at school was making things harder for you....
So, though it may not feel like a positive in any useful way at all, I'm determined to see it as such :-)
Oh...and I quite agree with your last sentence!