Monday 4 June 2007

First day down!

Well, I did it - and it was OK.

I was made to feel very welcome by other colleagues, lots of compliments on my new clothes and makeup. That was nice. Neither the head nor deputy made any attempt to greet me - but that was no surprise.

I spent an hour before teaching sorting out my pigeonhole - well, some of it. It's all now filed - under "R" for rubbish.

Went up to my lesson 10 minutes early (during break) to make sure I was ready. While setting up my laptop I heard pupils (from the oldest year group) arriving and lots of comments (meant for me to hear, I suspect!) about "I can't remember where I'm supposed to sit. Luckily (!) for them that wasn't a problem - as they came in I told each of them where I wanted them to sit! I think that made them realise I was no soft touch, and they behaved quite well (apart from an apparent failure to follow simple instructions!)

The second lesson also went well - the opposite end of the age range these, and one pupil presented me with a card she had made to show she was pleased I was back. Very sweet!

There were (of course!) a couple of technical problems, which I wrote down (surprisingly the online fault reporting system has not materialised) to pass on to the technician. But I coped with these without problems. I tried all morning to take nothing too seriously, and largely succeeded.

This afternoon I did some sewing, had a massage and then went to collect my daughters from their after school activities. While collecting younger daughter I also managed to spend 10 minutes going through my maths group with the assistant head, who is writing their reports. I'm happy, because I don't have to do the reports (which have to be completed this week); she is happy because I gave her comments and effort grades.

So, all in all a success. Plus the next two days only contain one lesson each as two year groups have Science activity days while I would normally be teaching them. I have a psychotherapy session tomorrow and am feeling positive about it - lots of achievements to share and a few aspects I'd like to explore (around not taking thisn too seriously or personally).

Thanks for the prayers / good wishes / comments.

5 comments:

Caroline said...

excellent! well done - i'm really pleased it went well adn that you actively kept control of things! really good to hear - sorry i missed sending you preemptove good luck - but consider yourself well and truely in my thoughts and prayers this week (and always). I hope taht the reset of the week goes well for you
xC

Fiona Marcella said...

Well done, it sounds great, a real balance of hard work and positive relaxation. Incidentally have you had any success in getting a quiet room? Both Guys Hospital and Birmingham Airport have prayer rooms. I suspect they were built at the request of Muslim staff and are mainly used by them, but they're a very good idea whoever sponsored them.

Disillusioned said...

Thanks, Caroline - it helped to know that people were thinking of me and are thinking of me. It's a bit odd to realise that (in terms of lessons) I am already halfway through my first week back!

Marcella, thanks. I've tried to plan in relaxation and reflection time this week. A quiet room is not available, as was made clear at the meeting. The best I can hope for is to share the SEN office (which is a better option than it sounds, as it is not in regular use). However, I did buy a pair of headphones which I hope will be successful in blocking out noise. It would be great to have a quiet room, but there really is not the space.

Thank you both for thinking of me in the midst of your own difficulties.

awareness said...

Hey Caroline!! You're off to a good start.....

What creeps those bosses are....geesh!! Those types seem to be multiplying for some reason, honestly. I'm glad you can keep their own apparent hang-ups separate from you and not take it personally, because it really and truly is their own crap.

bon chance demain.......

Disillusioned said...

Thank you Dana

To be honest, the silence of the head / deputy was an underlying niggle yesterday; it's good to have your perspective and reassurance. Something to discuss at my psychotherapy session this morning.