Tuesday 5 June 2007

Gulp...

Had a good psychotherapy session today ...
but ...
the topic of the end of sessions had to be looked at again ...
and ...
I bit the bullet and said what I felt - that we have reached a natural ending in terms of issues which *have* to be looked at and worked upon.
There are always more issues which *could* be looked at - I could go on for ever like that.

D complimented me on my "bravery" ... said he would have been happy to collude with me in having another session ... and another ... and as he said, I could still be having sessions in a year.
Part of me thought, "Damn - I could have done that!"
But the reasonable part of me knows that now is a good ending time.

So ...
I will see him for a final reviewing session next month ...
but there will still be a follow up session in 2-3 months - that is standard apparently - so in a way this is not the final session.
Except of course it is really.

Gulp...

2 comments:

Fiona Marcella said...

Gulp indeed.
I think the review sounds a very good idea. one of my (many ;-)) problems with the family therapy that we had some time ago was the ending. Both first impressions AND last goodbyes really matter.

Disillusioned said...

Thanks, Marcella.

I've already seen the forms we will base the review on - they're called a "blueprint" and are, in some ways, similar to the WRAP plan I have already worked on with my SPN and alone. however, I agree with you that endings are important and this is one way of formalising the ending. I will also fill in some kind of assessment sheet, which I filled in at the beginning of my treatment. I wonder if I will get to compare the two - that would be interesting I think. I was so relieved to ehar there will be a follow up session in 2-3 months as well.
I am feeling a little overawed at the moment by what i have done...