Saturday 17 March 2007

Two steps forward, one step back

So today I woke without a sense of dread. I was able to concentrate in the morning and get engrossed in my genealogy - and make some "breakthroughs" (while appreciating that they mean little to most other people). The breakthrough was in being able to think, however, and to feel relatively calm. I even considered missing out my valium - but was later glad I hadn't followed that course.

The step back came from what was, I suspect, an over-ambitious (though unavoidable) trip to town with my daughters. It started as a simple trip to buy birthday presents for my husband from them, but developed into buying supplies for a stall younger daughter is planning as part of a charity event, and into me needing to have it all in control, make it all sorted, make sure it ran smoothly. On top of that self-imposed pressure was the crowds, the noise, the people pressing in. I became overwhelmed, needing to escape, close to panic. I managed to survive, but driving home felt uncomfortable and the relief on being inside our house, safe, was huge. I retreated - to the afternoon dose of valium, a bath, and then hiding in my bedroom until I felt my head was more together.

I shouldn't be surprised, should I? But I take each little glimmer of improvement as proof that i am "better" and should be back to normal, back to work. It takes this to remind me that I need to give myself space and time.

5 comments:

awareness said...

lesson learned! :) But, the glimmer of focused thinking in the morning must've felt so rejuvenating.....

it truly does take time..........debriefing and deflating and taking deep breaths. All other responsibilities will be there when you can tackle them.

Kathryn said...

Hooray for that last sentence. You are allowed to claim that space and time, and all the care that anyone offers...
I'm praying that some of the love about the place marking Mothering Sunday AND your husband's birthday might get through to you a tiny bit.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

reminds me of that inspiring and heartbreakingly real song of mr springsteen - one step up, two steps back

that close to how i feel right now - hang in there, the dark night of the soul one day will pass - it's just one big pisser when it's 3.30am and your inner demons take over.....

Disillusioned said...

You are all so kind.

Why are you so kind to me?

I don't know, but thank you.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

Your current view
of your own self
is not what we see
is not what others see
is only what you see


But it’s your life
so watching you
watching yourself
not being able to make sense
plucks the chords of compassion

that lurk
even under hard, harsh
and shrapnel infused exteriors.


....and that's about as literary-like as you're going to get before a decent cup of coffee has passed my lips this morning!

Have a great day and thank you for the nudge toward knitting.