Monday 27 April 2009

Scary Sunday

I spent most of yesterday at our local A&E.... All scary stuff.

Went to bed on Saturday evening with pain in my back. Woke with same pain but more so, like someone pressing on my back. Through the morning it progressed to the front of my chest, and up into my jaw. About 12.30 I phoned NHS direct for advice - and before I knew it there was a paramedic at my home and I was all wired up. Tracings were all normal (thankfully) and I thought that was an end to it, just felt bad for wasting their time (an ambulance had also arrived by now), but they were quite convincing that I should go to A&E to be properly checked over. reluctantly agreed. Spent the next few hours there (got home about 7.30pm). Can't fault the care; they were incredibly thorough, very reassuring, told me I had done the right thing. Had more ECGs (all normal), x-ray (also normal) and a blood test. Ah. The first one showed "some raised levels" so they had to do another. (Couldn't take the second sample from the cannula already in my arm though - thank goodness I'm OK with needles!) I ended up waiting (fortunately on a side ward) for the results. Thankfully the second blood test showed no raised levels. Conclusion is that it is probably muscular; ordered to stay off work till Wednesday (when I already have an appointment with my GP) and likelihood of a stress test just to confirm there is no problem.

I feel guilty on all sorts of fronts, despite reassurances from everyone. I also feel very relieved - it was extremely scary at some points. And I am very thankful for my friend from work who offered to come over and sit with me (W having stayed, at my insistence, at home with the girls).

Let's NOT do that again, please...

7 comments:

Fiona Marcella said...

No, hopefully you won't do that again, although it is reassuring to know that the care was so good at the time. Hope you feel better soon and that you will allow yourself/be allowed by work to recover properly from this scary episode

Disillusioned said...

Thank you Marcella.

Am surprised how much recovery is needed from something so minor (in reality)

Polar Bear said...

That does sound really scary. Glad things turned out ok.

Catherine said...

Whew, glad things turned out okay for you.

Disillusioned said...

Thanks both.

Jessica said...

I know how scary that is.
Glad that you are ok. =)

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

enforced rest?

enjoy it