Wednesday 25 June 2008

Temporary problems (I hope!)

Came home and was greeted at the door by husband. Unusual. I should have guessed.

The computer has died. Or at least, seems to have died. No output, lights on but nobody home sort of thing.

So we have a new computer - which is good. I have even managed to get it running. Also good. And connected with the Internet, and major programs installed. All good.

However, I don't know if the data on our hard drive is recovereable. Not so good.
Fortunately I had backed everything up a week ago, to a removable hard drive. Good.
Unfortunately "everything" did not include my emails. Or my email address.

Which is a roundabout way of saying if you do not hear from me, I am not ignoring you. Please email me and I will reply (and be glad to know I have your address!)

I'm hoping to connect the hard drive to another computer on Friday and retrieve what I can. I'm really hoping that will include all emails. I'm just a little scared that it might not!

However, I am still smiling (wryly!) and I haven't killed anyone yet. Or even sworn too much!

Oh, the deep, deep joy of computers.

3 comments:

Seratonin said...

That's a real pain.I just don't know what I'd do without our computer.That said we are getting a free laptop soon via the AOL broadband offer.So hopefully we'll not be without should the desktop pc have probs.

Disillusioned said...

Thanks, S.

I have a laptop, but it belongs to school so am limited in what I use it for. Just hope I can recover the email information really - if I can do that I won't worry too much! that's a job for Friday, when I am off work - removing the hard drive and connecting it to another machine to see if I can read the information.

Made by Mandy said...

Hi C

When anything goes wrong with my pc, I go into a total flap...being techno clueless.

I hope your IT skills (which are pretty damn hot)and the fact you now have a new pc means get things sorted pronto.

:>)