Saturday 24 March 2007

Musings on healing

Caroline's posts here have me thinking again about my own experiences and their consequences. It's hard for me to put the "abuse" label on my own experiences, despite the assertions of others to the contrary.

I am only really able to acknowledge that my parents just weren't good at being parents. I'm know they see it differently, and in many ways I have never forced them to acknowledge the effects their behaviour had on me. The effect of never being good enough, always blamed, always responsible for keeping things running. The effect of not being allowed to show negative emotions of any kind (although others were and did). The results of feeling responsible for keeping my parents' marriage together, of stopping my mum from leaving, of acting as go between when they were not talking to each other. The effects of learning that love could and would be withdrawn if I acted outside of expectations. The effects of learning that I could and would be abandoned. All of this (and more) I have kept hidden from them. I am still keeping up the "happy family" appearance.

Then there was the abusive priest who exploited my vulnerability and naievity enough to seriously mess up my attitude to Church, Father God and men in general but did not do "enough" (or leave any trace of what he did) for any action to be taken. He silenced me, forced me to block out that time and those experiences. He convinced me, as my parents did, that he did nothing wrong and I had misunderstood his actions. Part of me still believes that to be true, knowing that I am the problem, I am wrong.

And keeping others happy led me into other problems. Trying to please the bullying head teacher of my second teaching post. Setting myself impossible expectations, the hyper-vigilance for the first signs of trouble, making sure others are happy, never believing I am good enough, always knowing rejection is just around the corner. The terror instilled by criticism, quite out of proportion to any actual comments.

I want to move on. I want to lose that "victim" mentality, to know that I am "good enough". I want to discover the God who really does accept me despite who and what I am, or even for who and what I am. Nobody can (apparently) tell me how to do that.
Mental health professionals are focused on their belief that my image of myself as inherently defective is wrong and want me to change that. They stress self nurturing, telling me that behaviour will change feelings and thoughts. It has in the past, I know - but the frightening thing for me is that change crumbled under pressure. Occupational health want to tackle the pressure. I'm starting to think I need to look at it from a different angle entirely, and find the God others of you seem to know, the God who can accept me as I am, the God who has no expectations of me being perfect or keeping him happy. And I need to deal with lots of issues to do that - especially "Father God" and "the God who heals".

3 comments:

Caroline said...

seems to me that ou are moving on - thank you for being so open and honest and for sharing your 'moving on' journey with us.
xc

awareness said...

HI Caroline.

Things may seem quite muddy still and perhaps a wee bit out of focus for you as you figure it out. But, from a distance reading your posts I am seeing that you are reaching some clarity......more will come.

I read a book a couple of years ago, which fed some training I developed for the staff I work with. It was entitled, Emotional Alchemy by Tara Goleman. (She's married to Daniel Goleman of the Emotional Intelligence craze/fame) The book is a bit dry, but the concept that we all have emotional "schemas" which impact our daily choices and behaviour (ie, reacting to others around us) was quite interesting.

One of the key "schemas" she writes about is abandonment and all that it entails. It seems to me, based on what you are writing in this post that you are trying to clarify this for yourself....

I could be dead wrong.....and hestitated to post this comment, but I thought I'd throw the idea out to you......I'm sure the book is available at your library.

Sometimes the people in the "caring" and counselling field jump too quickly with the "love yourself and hug yourself" answer, when other questions and thoughts need time to percolate.......

I do believe we ALL need to recognize our beautiful-ness and our strengths....and APPLAUD them....we also need to know our triggers and our wounds......as part of ourselves too..and come to the conclusion (for ourselves) that every single blemish, every single wound.......was earned!!! WE need to learn to wear them as badges!!

take care...........cups of tea....

don't forget that the holy spirit ribbons are all around you!! :)

Disillusioned said...

Thank you Caroline and Dana for seeing me moving on. I'm hoping, but still terrified...

Dana, it's interesting that you mention that book. My psychotherapist has done a lot of work with me on schemas, though using "Reinventing your Life", which I believe is the original book on schema therapy. Sadly I have a number of active schemas - abandonment and defectiveness are two of the major ones. I'll look out for the book in the library - sounds interesting. The image of the ribbons is still with me and they are surrounding me.

Thanks.